Contact Us

National Treasury Management Agency,
Treasury Dock,
North Wall Quay,
Dublin 1,
D01 A9T8

Get Directions

Phone +353 1 238 4000

Legal Entity Identifier (LEI): 549300KXBEJAOJ9OVF93

Please send us your query using the form below.

  • Media Queries
    • The NTMA’s press office facility is provided by Gordon MRM.

      If you are a journalist and have a query about the NTMA (including the ISIF, NDFA, SCA and NewERA), please email the press office team on ntma@gordonmrm.ie

  • Complaints
    • In the event that you are dissatisfied with the manner in which the NTMA has dealt with you, you can make a complaint to the NTMA by completing our complaints form and returning it to us by mail or email:

      The National Treasury Management Agency,
      Compliance Unit,
      Treasury Dock,
      North Wall Quay,
      Dublin 1,
      D01 A9T8,


      We will endeavour to resolve your complaint in a fair and expedient manner.

  • FAQ
    • Who can I contact for more information on State Savings and Prize Bonds?

      If you have a query about State Savings products, you can use any of the following contact details:

      • Telephone | 1850 30 50 60
      • Email | Service@StateSavings.ie
      • SMS Text | 0852 30 50 60
      • By Post | State Savings, GPO, Dublin 1
      • Web | www.StateSavings.ie
      • Visit | Any Post Office
      How do I access money from a dormant bank account?

      The NTMA administers the Dormant Accounts Fund into which dormant bank accounts and insurance policies are transferred by financial institutions. However, the NTMA does not receive information on individual customers, their account details or the individual amounts being transferred. Financial institutions are required to continue to maintain individual customer account records and are responsible for making reclaims from the NTMA on behalf of the account holder. In its Guide to Dormant Accounts, the Banking and Payments Federation of Ireland explains how to claim funds in a dormant account and provides a dormant account claim form.

      To make a reclaim, complete and submit the standard reclaim form and return it to the bank or insurance institution where the account was held. Thereafter each institution will have individual processes for account verification, reactivation and repayment of dormant monies.

      I would like to apply for a job at the NTMA, where can I send my CV?

      Vacancies are advertised in the Careers section on our website where you can also submit your CV in response to any opportunities that are of interest to you. Any recruitment-related queries can be emailed directly to us via recruitment@ntma.ie and we will do our best to respond as soon as possible.